April 25, 2016

Ten Funny Tweets Derek Re-Tweeted Last Week

What a shit week last week was.

Among the many celebrities we've lost this year already, guitarist Lonnie Mack, actress Doris Roberts, country singer Merle Haggard, wrestling star Chyna, and director of four James Bond movies Guy Hamilton all passed away. And as much as I feel sad for their friends and families, none of them even comes close to having the impact on me that the loss of Prince has.


I first became aware of Prince's music back around the time 1999 was released. I had heard some of his previous songs before, but, being about eleven or so, I had no idea who it was. But when 1999 came out...Holy cow. Songs like "Delirious", "Little Red Corvette", "D.M.S.R.", and the title track were getting regular rotation on the radio. It was hard not to hear him. And then Purple Rain landed and moved him into the stratosphere, from which he continued to release amazing music, including forming different bands to put out even more music (Prince was a prolific songwriter), because record companies tend to think that releasing a new album every fifteen minutes might cut into the sales of the ones from the previous hour.

When I heard about his passing, it was from a friend's post on Facebook, and I was shocked. I still am. The guy was only twelve years older than me. If Prince can't live forever, what the heck kind of chance do any of us regular people have?!

Anyway, the point is, it sucks and I'm not happy about it. But in tribute to a great artist, all of this week's graphics are of him. He's going to be missed like crazy.

Aw, shucks.
Other stuff happened this week, and Twitter made sure we all knew about it, usually with a nice twist.

F'rinstance, it was announced that Harriet Tubman will replace Alexander Hamilton on the $20 bill.


Naturally, tons of racist and misogynist dickbags came to bitch about the decision, and they were promptly mocked. (I chose not to share any of those because, quite frankly, those asshats don't need more attention.)

No, they do not.
The day that stoners everywhere look forward to so they can pretend they have an excuse to openly express their intense love of smoking weed to anyone who will listen (or not) arrived this week, and on 4/20 thousands of stoners did exactly that. And, as predicted, I could not have cared less. I mean, I have no issues with legalizing marijuana, but it's just not something that appeals to me, personally. I can't even stand the smell, for a start.

Anyway, somebody got creative and posted information about a secret Limp Bizkit show at a Sunoco station in Dayton, Ohio, on 4/20, despite the fact that such a show was never scheduled.


Like with marijuana, I'm no fan of Limp Bizkit, either. And largely for the same reasons. (Makes you act stupid, the unpleasant skunky smell.) But this is a pretty funny joke.

You what now?
Political stuff happened, too, but I don't wanna talk about any of that, except to say this:


And that's all I have to say about it.

Did he just...? He did, didn't he?
Anyway, there was one cool bit of news that I heard about this past week, via Birdemic star Whitney Moore.


So it wasn't all bad last week. Just mostly.

A girl?! Hide the comic books!
What wasn't shit last week were the tweets people were putting up. So many great ones that, in fact, I had a hard time trying to whittle it down to just ten! But I did...So what say we go look at them?


And there you have it! Now get out there and have a better week, will you? And to get it happening, here's a commercial about a restaurant that took a terrible situation and turned it around into something funny. (H/t to Kris Silva for the link. Again.)


All the best,
Derek and Bosco

No comments:

Post a Comment